Janice Charles – United Kingdom
I feel my entry interprets the theme of Fusion well as even though I have used the traditional methods and techniques of hand blocking and hand sewing, it is a contemporary visual that uses tradition to create a modern Avante garde piece,influenced by todays floral fashion fusing the old with the new.
- Felt coat with leather relief
- Felt covered boning
- Suede thonging
- Silk roses and artificial foliage
- Satin Lining grosgrain ribbon
- I firstly cut out 3 sheets of sinamay on the bias, I used 3 sheets to ensure stiffness and ensure strength to the design. to help it keep its upturned shape and also another 3 sheets cut to size for the crown of the hat,once this was done. I proceeded to hand blocked both the brim and the crown of the hat into the desired shapes,
- Once this was achieved I then applied several coats of millinery stiffener to each,. Once this was dry I applied wire around the out edges of the brim shape which was then hand sewn to secure.Then I stretched and applied a layer of felt with a raised leather relief design to give the affect of the wicker of a basket which was also hand sewn onto the sinamay hat brim.. I used a lining fabric to cover the crown of the hat as this fabric would not be seen due to it being adorned with the silk roses,which I attached via using a combination of hand sewing and gem tack..
- I then added artificial foliage between the silk roses to add interest and depth to the design and rose also leaves to create a more realistic, look and feel I constructed the handle using felt covered boning that I also inserted wire into it to help it to hold its structure and be more compliant to the shape I wanted, this was then hand wrapped with thin suede thonging to mimic the texture and material of a flower basket handle. this was then secured to the hat crown with a glue gun, and hand sewing once this was done I then continued to add more of the silk roses so that the handle completely merged seamlessly into the completed design.
- heat dryer
- hand sewing
Your Free Issue of HATalk
Join our mailing list to receive a free issue of HATalk e-magazine.