Lisa McFadden – United States
The Rose embodies fusion in the following ways:
1. Fusion of the contemporary style lines: saucer brim and mushroom cap crown.
2. Fusion of hat making styles and techniques: blocking, pattern making, wire, and hand stitching
3. Fusion of fabric qualities to create an interesting surprise under the surface of the brim.
- Rose motif appliqued silk
- Red silk faille
- Black silk organza
- Bias ribbon
- Grosgrain ribbon
- Elastic band
- This two piece hat was cut and sewn by hand with straight needles.
- The mushroom cap crown was blocked and covered with fabric.
- I then created the brim pattern and built it with a wire frame.
- I lined the belly of the brim first with the faille and then added a layer of equally distributed shirred organza.
- The edge was clean finished with a bias ribbon.
- I used 1.25″ grosgrain ribbon to finish the crown opening.
Your Free Issue of HATalk
Join our mailing list to receive a free issue of HATalk e-magazine.