2018 HATalk Hat Making Competition
fusion: the process or result of joining two or more things together
For the 2018 HATalk Hat Making Competition we challenged you to create an original hat or headpiece using the concept of Fusion as the starting point for your design. This is an abstract theme which could be defined and interpreted in any number of ways. As always, we wanted you to be as creative as possible!
This year’s competition is being run slightly differently than in previous years. In the spirit of our Fusion theme, we wanted to highlight two distinct branches of hat making – Traditional and Modern – celebrating both individually while also acknowledging that it is possible bring the two disciplines together to create new and exciting possibilities for artistic expression. To do this, we added extra prizes and created two separate submission categories. We also decided to allow you to submit up to two entries this year – one for each category.
There were no restrictions on the materials or techniques that you could use or the size of hat or headpiece that you can enter. However, each submission had to be entered into either the Traditional Headwear Category OR the Modern Headwear Category based on the skills and techniques used in its making.
The competition is now closed.
Thank you to everyone who participated. We received over 170 entries from 31 countries – WOW! The winners will be announced on 31 January, 2018.
Click HERE to see the entries now.
Traditional Headwear Category
This category is for any hat or headpiece made using primarily traditional millinery or hatting techniques (such as, but not limited to, hand sewing and blocking). Entries should be MAINLY handmade with minimal use of high-tech equipment and materials, although some use of modern skills and methods is allowed.
Modern Headwear Category
This category is for any hat or headpiece made using primarily modern millinery or hatting techniques (such as, but not limited to, laser cutting and 3D printing). Entries should be MAINLY made with high-tech equipment and materials, although some use of traditional skills and methods is allowed.
An Overall Winner and four Runners-up will be chosen by our expert judges.
The judges will base their decisions on the following criteria:
- Quality of workmanship
- Originality of design
- Theme interpretation
- Suitability for the category entered
All entries, from both categories, will be considered for the Overall Winner prize. Two Runners-up will then be chosen exclusively from the Traditional Headwear Category and two Runners-up will be chosen exclusively from the Modern Headwear Category.
Three Public Prizes will also be awarded based on a public online vote. To avoid any influence on the judges’ decisions, this online vote will not take place until after the judges have announced their winners.
The winners will receive the following prizes which have been generously donated by our amazing industry partners…
Enrolment on a 1-Week Residential Millinery Workshop at Chateau Dumas
This prize includes chateau accommodation (7 nights), all meals, 5 days of full-time tuition on a 2019 or 2020 Chateau Dumas millinery workshop of the winner’s choice (subject to availability), as well as local trips to markets and hat factories. Chateau Dumas is an elegant 18th century chateau and estate near Toulouse in southwest France. Lying at the heart of French hat-making, Chateau Dumas is a centre for millinery and other creative residential workshops, including textiles and themed weeks.
Not included in the prize are flights to Toulouse, airport transfers and millinery materials (foundation materials, however, are included). The free enrollment must be taken on one of the 2019 or 2020 workshops (subject to availability of a place).
First Runner Up – Modern
First Runner Up – Traditional
£250 Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks Voucher
A £250 (GBP) voucher to spend at Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks Ltd. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs and will expire on December 31, 2018.
£150 to spend at The Trimming Company
A £150 (GBP) voucher for The Trimming Company. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs.
£100 voucher for Petershams Millinery Supplies
A £100 (GBP) voucher to spend at Petershams Millinery Supplies. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs. The winner will be emailed an e-voucher which can be used online or in store. Voucher will expire on 31 December, 2018.
Second Runner Up – Modern
$250 House of Adorn Voucher
A $250 (AUD) voucher for Australian online millinery supplier House of Adorn. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs. Expiry date is December 31, 2018.
Second Runner Up – Traditional
£75 worth of millinery supplies from Atelier Millinery
A selection of millinery supplies hand picked by the team at the Atelier Millinery. This prize is worth £75 (GBP) and free shipping is included. The supplies and materials included will be at the sole discretion of Atelier Millinery and cannot be exchanged or substituted for their cash value.
5 yards of premium Pinokpok from JudithM Millinery Supplies
The winner can choose 5 yards of pinokpok in any colour available from JudithM Millinery Supplies at the time of order. Free standard shipping is included. Other shipping services can be provided by request at an additional cost to recipient. Prize must be redeemed by August 2018 and is worth approximately £75 (GBP).
Public Prize – First Place
$100 worth of hat making materials from Hatters Millinery Supplies
A selection of hat making materials hand picked by the team at Hatters Millinery Supplies. This prize is worth $100 (AUD) and free shipping is included. The supplies and materials included will be at the sole discretion of Hatters Millinery Supplies and cannot be exchanged or substituted for their cash value.
Public Prize – Second Place
1-Year Subscription to HATalk e-magazine
Unlimited access to all published issues of HATalk for 1 year. If the winner has an existing HATalk subscription, the renewal date will be extended by 1 year. Prize is worth $60 (USD).
Public Prize – Third Place
£25 How2hats voucher
The winner will be emailed a £25 (GBP) voucher to spend at How2hats, publishers of over 30 books, ebooks and DVDs on the art of hat and fascinator making for beginners and seasoned milliners alike. Voucher can be used toward shipping costs.
Show Your Hat at London Hat Week 2018
The 8 winning hats will all be put on display at London Hat Week in March 2018. HATalk will cover all shipping costs of getting the hats to and from London Hat Week. Exact details, timing and location of the HATalk Competition display will be at the sole discretion of the London Hat Week team and will be communicated to the winners nearer the time.
How to Enter the 2018 HATalk Hat Making Competition
1) Create Your Entry
You may submit one hat or headpiece into the Traditional Headwear Category AND one hat or headpiece into the Modern Headwear Category, for a total of two possible entries. Make sure to read the Terms and Conditions below carefully so that your entries meet all of the competition requirements.
2) Photograph Your Work
Once you have completed your entry, photograph it. This is an image based competition so you don’t need to send in your hat or headpiece unless we request it for closer inspection. The judges will make their decision based on the images that you submit so make sure that they show your creation to its best advantage.
You can include up to 3 images with each entry and each image should be at least 1000 x 1000 pixels. You may submit larger images but they will be hard cropped to a 1000 x 1000 pixel square for display on our website and some content may be lost. The full list of image requirements can be found at the bottom of this page. If possible, photograph your hat on a real person – this will help the judges to get a better idea of the fit and balance. To see photographs of past HATalk Competition winners, click here.
3) Fill in the Online Entry Form
When you are happy with the images of your entry, it is time to fill in the online entry form. If you want to submit two entries, you must complete a separate form for each one. Fill in all of the required information, upload your images as directed and then submit your form. All entries must be submitted by midnight on Friday, 19 January 2018 to be entered into the competition.
2018 HATalk Hat Making Competition Terms and Conditions
- Only one entry is allowed per person per category, for a total of two possible entries. You may not enter two hats into the same category.
- Completed online entry forms with uploaded image(s) must be received by midnight on Friday 19 January, 2018 – submissions received after this date will not be accepted.
- Individuals must be at least 16 years of age to enter.
- This is an international hat making competition – entries are accepted from any country.
- Hat must be an original design made by the person entering the competition.
- By submitting an entry, you are giving permission for your photos and the personal information relating to your entry to be shared on the HATalk website and social media channels and those of our partner company, How2hats.
- Men’s and women’s hats will be given equal consideration.
- There are no size regulations – both hats and fascinators can be entered.
- Submitted hats must be available to be sent to HATalk for closer inspection upon request.
- Winning hats must be available to be exhibited during London Hat Week 2018 (March 22-28, 2018). HATalk will cover all shipping costs to and from London Hat Week.
- Written descriptions should not exceed the maximum word count and must be in English.
- Hats should be entered under the maker’s actual name, not the name of a business.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash and cannot be resold, transferred or exchanged. No change will be given for part use and expiry dates must be adhered to.
- Unfortunately it is not possible to provide individual feedback on competition entries.
- The judges’ decision is final. No further correspondence will be entered into upon their decision.
- Each entrant may submit up to 3 images per submission although only 1 image is required.
- The images must be either PNG or JPEG file types with no writing, text, logos, watermarks, frames or filters added. Please do not send images as PDFs or other file types.
- No collages are allowed – each image should be of a single view of your creation.
- Images need to be at least 1000 x 1000 pixels in size so that they show up clearly on the website.
- You may submit larger images but be aware that all images will be hard cropped to a 1000 x 1000 pixel square before being displayed on the HATalk website.