2019 HATalk Hat Making Competition
equilibrium: a state in which opposing forces or influences are balanced
For the 2019 HATalk Hat Making Competition, we challenged you to create an original hat or headpiece using the concept of equilibrium as the starting point for your design. This was an abstract theme which could be defined and interpreted in any number of ways. As always, we wanted you to be as creative as possible!
A fantastic selection of prizes, valuing approximately $4,500 USD, will be awarded to five winners in our annual hat making competition. The winning hats will also be exhibited at London Hat Week 2019 as part of The Great Hat Exhibition – World Garden. This contest was open to anyone, anywhere in the world, and was completely free to enter.
Four winners will be chosen by our expert judges, who will base their decisions on the following criteria:
- Quality of workmanship
- Originality of design
- Theme interpretation
The winners will be announced by 28 February 2019.
One Public Prize winner will then be chosen through an online vote. Voting will take place until Sunday, 3 March 2019.
The winners will receive the following prizes which have been generously donated by our amazing industry partners…
Enrolment on a 1-Week Residential Millinery Workshop at Chateau Dumas
This prize includes chateau accommodation (7 nights), all meals (except one dinner which is taken at a restaurant at guests’ cost), 5 days of full-time tuition on a 2020 or 2021 Chateau Dumas millinery workshop of the winner’s choice (subject to availability), as well as local trips to markets and hat factories. Chateau Dumas is an elegant 18th century chateau and estate near Toulouse in southwest France. Lying at the heart of French hat-making, Chateau Dumas is a centre for millinery and other creative residential workshops, including textiles and themed weeks.
Not included in the prize are flights to Toulouse, airport transfers and millinery materials (foundation materials, however, are included). The free enrollment must be taken on one of the 2020 or 2021 workshops (subject to availability of a place). This prize was worth approximately 2250€ (EUR) at the time of publishing. The exact value is subject to change. This prize is non-transferable and cannot be exchanged or substituted for its cash value.
£250 Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks Voucher
A £250 (GBP) voucher to spend at Guy Morse-Brown Hat Blocks Ltd. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs and will expire on December 31, 2019.
Custom Fabric Flowers from M&S Schmalberg
A selection of handmade fabric flowers from New York City flower specialist M&S Schmalberg. This prize is worth approximately $180 (USD) and free shipping is included. The selected flowers will be at the sole discretion of M&S Schmalberg and cannot be exchanged or substituted for their cash value.
£150 The Trimming Company Voucher
A £150 (GBP) voucher for The Trimming Company. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs.
Millinery Materials from Torb & Reiner
A selection of quality hat making materials from Australian millinery supplier Torb & Reiner. This prize is worth approximately $200 (AUD) with free shipping. The materials included will be at the sole discretion of Torb & Reiner and cannot be exchanged or substituted for their cash value.
£25 How2hats Voucher
The winner will be emailed a £25 (GBP) voucher to spend at How2hats, publishers of over 30 books, ebooks and DVDs on the art of hat and fascinator making for beginners and seasoned milliners alike. Voucher can be used toward shipping costs.
$200 Lily M Millinery Supplies Voucher
A $200 (USD) voucher to spend at Lily M Millinery Supplies. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs.
Hat Making Supplies from Atelier Millinery
A selection of millinery supplies from Atelier Millinery. This prize is worth approximately £50 (GBP) and free shipping is included. The materials included will be at the sole discretion of Atelier Millinery and cannot be exchanged or substituted for their cash value.
300€ Plooij Hats and Materials Voucher
A 300€ (EUR) voucher for the Plooij Hats and Materials online millinery shop. Voucher may be used toward shipping costs.
1-Year Subscription to HATalk e-magazine
Unlimited access to all published issues of HATalk for 1 year. If the winner has an existing HATalk subscription, the renewal date will be extended by 1 year. Prize is worth $60 (USD).
Show Your Hat at London Hat Week 2019
All five winning hats will be put on display during London Hat Week. HATalk has partnered with X Terrace Fashion Platform to secure a place for the winning hats to be included in the official exhibition of London Hat Week 2019, The Great Hat Exhibition – World Garden, which will be held at The Menier Gallery in Central London from 3-12 April, 2019. HATalk will cover all shipping costs of getting the hats to and from London Hat Week. Exact details of the HATalk Competition display will be at the sole discretion of London Hat Week and X Terrace and will be communicated to the winners nearer the time.
2019 HATalk Hat Making Competition Terms and Conditions
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- There is no fee to enter this competition and no purchase is necessary.
- Completed online entry forms with uploaded image(s) must be received by midnight (GMT) on Friday 15 February, 2019 – submissions received after this date will not be considered.
- Individuals must be at least 16 years of age to enter.
- This is an international hat making competition – entries are accepted from any country.
- Submissions must be an original design made by the person entering the competition.
- Submission must not have been entered, at present or in the past, into any other competition or contest, either online or in person.
- By submitting an entry, you are giving permission for your photos and the personal information relating to your entry to be shared on the HATalk website and social media channels and those of our partner company, How2hats.
- Men’s and women’s hats will be given equal consideration.
- There are no size regulations – both hats and fascinators can be entered.
- Submitted hats must be available to be sent to HATalk for closer inspection upon request.
- Winning hats must be available to be exhibited during London Hat Week (April 3-12, 2019). HATalk will cover all shipping costs to and from London Hat Week.
- Written descriptions should not exceed the maximum word count and must be in English.
- Materials and techniques should be listed with bullet points.
- Hats should be entered under the maker’s actual name, not the name of a business.
- Prizes are not redeemable for cash and cannot be resold, transferred or exchanged. No change will be given for part use and expiry dates must be adhered to.
- The stated cash values of non-cash prizes are approximate and are subject to change.
- The judges’ decision is final. No further correspondence will be entered into upon their decision. Unfortunately, it is not possible to provide individual feedback on competition entries.
- Each entrant may submit up to 3 images per submission although only 1 image is required.
- The images must be either PNG or JPEG file types with no writing, text, logos, watermarks, frames or filters added. Please do not send images as PDFs or other file types.
- No collages are allowed – each image should be of a single view of your creation.
- Images need to be at least 1000 x 1000 pixels in size so that they show up clearly on the website.
- You may submit larger images but be aware that all images will be hard cropped to a 1000 x 1000 pixel square before being displayed on the HATalk website.
Learn to Make Beautiful Hats and Fascinators
HATalk has the largest online library of step-by-step millinery projects in the world. Begin your FREE trial today and get instant access to:
- All step-by-step millinery projects
- Hints and tips tutorials
- A new monthly issue of HATalk e-magazine, a digital publication for hat makers and enthusiasts loaded with great content
- Access to the entire back issue library of over 160 issues of HATalk e-magazine (download them them all today if you’d like!)
HATalk projects and e-magazines are great for both beginners and expert makers. There is something for everyone and the project library is always growing.
Click HERE to begin your no-risk FREE Trial!
We are sure you will absolutely love being a HATalk subscriber. And, even if you don’t, it won’t cost you anything to find out.